A birch tree created in watercolours.
This page was created for a journal swap. The theme for this particular journal was “Whatever Makes you Happy”. Well my turn in the journal occurred when I was addicted to Zentangling…. I just couldn’t stop for a few weeks there and this is what happened.
I took inspiration from a distant memory of something similar I had seen surfing the internet a while back.
Thanks for dropping by
I learnt some valuable lessons last night with compliments of one of my acrylic paint dabber bottles….
1. Always, ALWAYS, wear an apron when using dabber bottles. OR change out off your favourite shirt – even if it is just for a little touch up on your art…
2. Do NOT, under circumstance, squeeze hard on a dabber bottle.
3. Be patient if the top of a dabber bottle top has dried out. Spritz and dab….. then dab some more and spritz again if needed…..
4. IF the dabber top has dried out before using it on your artwork, always test first on a scrap piece of paper.
6. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE SQUEEZE HARD ON A DABBER BOTTLE. Yes I repeated this as it was most probably my biggest undoing…
Why you may ask….????
Because if you don’t you will end up with the entire contents not only on the page you are working on but also all over your shirt, your chair, the floor, your desk and your artwork. The bottle just EXPLODES everywhere. And it will only every happen when you are wearing your favourite shirt.
NOTE: My favourite shirt is now my favourite art inspiring “apron not needed” piece of clothing…..
This is a face created using a stencil by Jane Davenport. Awesome stencils for when you just need a starting point… It isn’t finished as I need to add hair and journaling. Not sure I have finished shading the face either – Hence it still being a work in progress (WIP)
I have actually gessoed over a failed piece of art in my journal. The background art was created using Peerless paints – which are watercolor based but have leached through the gesso which I think has created a nice effect.
…and here is the finished piece.
Her “followers” were copied, reduced then collaged onto the page from this larger piece that I painted just to add to this layout….
I had posted a version of this fish earlier – but the tail wasn’t working for me so I changed it. You can see the original version in this post.
Lessons Learnt and Other Information:
In the first “cut” of this piece I printed various sizes of the Monarch Fish onto tissue paper and collaged them onto the page using Liquitex Matte Medium. However, since I had used Distress Stains for the background I found that even though the edges of the tissue paper were torn and soft** the colour drew to the edges and made a “hard” edge around the tissue paper and fishes. Not a very desirable result. So I decided to gesso over the entire background and start again.
I decided to repaint the background with a mix of Liquitex Fluid Acrylic and Distress Paints as they were the supplies I had with the colours I needed. I placed a small amount of each colour onto my palette and used a stippling brush with a little of each colour to repaint the background. As the paints used are both acrylic based I knew they wouldn’t react and pool in the same manner as the stains did. BUT just to be sure I printed the Monarch Fish in varying sizes onto copy paper using my laser printer.
I then fussy cut out each fish. They were then adhered to the page using Liquitex Matte Medium.
The last thing added was the lettering. As there were so many different mediums on the page I used an alcohol based marker – in this instance it was a Prismacolor Premier marker.
** to easily “cut out” images on tissue paper use a thin paintbrush dipped in water to create an outline. Leave for a few seconds then gently “tear” along the waterline. This creates a SOFT edge that is easily blended into a collaged piece.
Thanks for visiting
My muse has been absent over the last 5-6 weeks. I know why she hasn’t been here; After all – you can’t loose your sister without something having to give. However, convincing her to return has been difficult. But I am not going to dwell on that here as I have done so in my personal hand written journals. What I am going to post about here is the return of my Muse.
I had a couple of good friends over for a girlies art night on Friday. It was a great night with lots of talking, laughter, food and a few wines. The loving, relaxed and creative atmosphere was just what my muse was looking for and she has returned with a vengeance. Woo HOO.
And this is what she sent me……
The mermaid was already drawn and the tail painted. It is one created in a mermaid shaped journal made during the online class “Mermaid Circus”. The balance of her was painted on Friday night. Then yesterday I decided she needed a friend. That is when the Butterfly Fish evolved. Neither are finished yet but I love how they are evolving.
After the fish is complete I will scan it, reduce the size (significantly as it is A4 size at present) and collage it onto the Mermaid page. I will post the finished piece once done.
If you are looking for supplies you can try The Institute of Cute (an Australian online shop with the best of mixed media/journalling supplies).
Many thanks for dropping by.
One of my favorite mixed media artists is running a new course on how to use watercolors. Check this out:
I am off to sign-up.
Thanks for dropping by