I haven’t posted in a while….

Well I have been very busy…. sorry…… Life just gets in the way sometimes. I just thought I would post some of the things I have been working on lately. They are all part of a journal swap I am part of. Sad to say but I haven’t had time for anything else.

2F1A2782 - Copy

2F1A2862 - Copy

2F1A4349

Each journal has its own theme so these are all done to fit in with each one.

Thanks for dropping by

Hugs

Vicky

xxx

The Monarch of the Sea

The Monarch of the Sea

…and here is the finished piece.

DSCN2202

Her “followers” were copied, reduced then collaged onto the page from this larger piece that I painted just to add to this layout….

Monarch Fish

I had posted a version of this fish earlier – but the tail wasn’t working for me so I changed it. You can see the original version in this post.

Lessons Learnt and Other Information:

In the first “cut” of this piece I printed various sizes of the Monarch Fish onto tissue paper and collaged them onto the page using Liquitex Matte Medium. However, since I had used Distress Stains for the background I found that even though the edges of the tissue paper were torn and soft** the colour drew to the edges and made a “hard” edge around the tissue paper and fishes. Not a very desirable result. So I decided to gesso over the entire background and start again.

I decided to repaint the background with a mix of Liquitex Fluid Acrylic and Distress Paints as they were the supplies I had with the colours I needed. I placed a small amount of each colour onto my palette and used a stippling brush with a little of each colour to repaint the background. As the paints used are both acrylic based I knew they wouldn’t react and pool in the same manner as the stains did. BUT just to be sure I printed the Monarch Fish in varying sizes onto copy paper using my laser printer.

I then fussy cut out each fish. They were then adhered to the page using Liquitex Matte Medium.

The last thing added was the lettering. As there were so many different mediums on the page I used an alcohol based marker – in this instance it was a Prismacolor Premier marker.

** to easily “cut out” images on tissue paper use a thin paintbrush dipped in water to create an outline. Leave for a few seconds then gently “tear” along the waterline. This creates a SOFT edge that is easily blended into a collaged piece.

Thanks for visiting

Vicky

Getting Started with Watercolour

One of my favorite mixed media artists is running a new course on how to use watercolors. Check this out:

Getting Started with Watercolor with Julie Fei-Fan Balzer

I am off to sign-up.

Thanks for dropping by

Vicky