2015 – Postcard Swap

After finishing an online course with Jane Davenport & Teesha Moore (Mermaid Circus) a group of 12 of us from Australia and USA, continued on with a journal swap. We realised as we got to the end of the year long swap that we didn’t want it to end so have embarked on another journey by way of a postcard swap. Each month we have a different theme and seeing how everyone interprets their theme is inspiring. As is watching how everyone’s style is evolving and growing. It is very easy to see that we all have our own style and now I can identify who has done which piece before I even look at the name. I love this group of ladies.

This is my January postcard. The theme was “Turquoise”


Supplies used:    Derwent Inktense pencils, Dylusions ink, Gelatos, Masking Fluid, Prismacolor pencils, Acrylic paints

The theme for February was either “Words” or “Go Wild” – I combined them both. I used a page from an old book for the background and then went wild with doodling and colour in the form of an elephant. I loved the end result.

Words & Go Wild

Supplies used:   Adirondak Daubers, Peerless Paints, Sharpie, Inktense Blocks, Page from old dictionary


I haven’t posted in a while….

Well I have been very busy…. sorry…… Life just gets in the way sometimes. I just thought I would post some of the things I have been working on lately. They are all part of a journal swap I am part of. Sad to say but I haven’t had time for anything else.

2F1A2782 - Copy

2F1A2862 - Copy


Each journal has its own theme so these are all done to fit in with each one.

Thanks for dropping by




Getting Started with Watercolour

One of my favorite mixed media artists is running a new course on how to use watercolors. Check this out:

Getting Started with Watercolor with Julie Fei-Fan Balzer

I am off to sign-up.

Thanks for dropping by


Mermaid Circus

This page was created using watercolours, collaged elements and Prismacolor pencils.

Mermaid CircusThe scuba diver peering down from the top is a photo of my son taken during his Shark Dive at Bondi. The mermaid is a copy of one I created previously – I liked her so much I just had to use her again.

Thanks for dropping by


Playing with Watercolours

The latest homework assignment from “Supplies Me” workshop with Jane Davenport.

This is my first real attempt at colouring a face… I am so VERY pleased with it. I have always been more happy using graphite or lead pencils for the shading of everything I draw. But I can’t believe how my first really serious attempt at using colour turned out. I am so very pleased with it.

I can’t take all the credit as I feel my success is due to the wonderful teaching tallents of Jane Davenport. Her online classes are AMAZING! You have to experience them for yourself to know what I am talking about.

I have learnt one valuable lesson – to gain a true perspective on what you are drawing – take a photo of it and then view it on the computer screen. It wasn’t until I was ready to upload my drawing, took a photo and saw it on my screen that I realised that the eyes are out of perspective. So I need to learn how to draw eyes when the face is slightly tilted. …

I used:

Prismacolor for the face

A combination of Prisma pencils and Prisma art sticks for the hair.

For the background I used a combinatin of Windsor Newton watercolours and Caran D’Ache Neocolor II Watertsoluable pastels to create the colour, Distress Inks for the stamping (Stamps from Kaiser and another unknown brand) and some acrylic paints and sponging for the background cloud effect. I used Prismas to hand colour the birds. All created on cold pressed watercolour paper (not sure of the brand as I lost the cover page ages ago).

I just kept adding colour and elements until I was happy with it. I must have shown my husband the “finished” product a dozen times  LOL

Day Dreaming 2